I didn’t have a chance to spend much time in the shop today. What time I had was spent checking lumber stock and testing some of the auger bits that I have recently restored.
However, I was able to test an expansion bit and a no 13 Irwin auger bit with my brace after having cleaned them up a few days ago. Both of those bits have rather large square tapers that barely fit into the chuck of the brace. They cut nicely when I was finally able to chuck each of them up. I’ll sharpen them when I have a bit of time.
Chess table project
I will need to make a trip to a lumber supplier for this table project. I had a chance to look through the wood I have available. I would like to make the top, drawer fronts, and legs out of maple. Unfortunately, I do not have nearly enough of the ambrosia maple I had been saving for all of those parts. I think I have enough to do a three board glue up for the top only.
I have a fir 4×4 that I would like to use for the post. It is leftover stock from building a cat tree about four years ago. I already did a rough cut to 18 inches. It’s nice and dry. I’ll have to chuck it up tomorrow and see how it turns.
The following appears to be my cut list for the project:
|Legs||9 1/2″||10 3/4″||3/4″||3||Maple|
|Post||18″||3 1/2″||3 1/2″||1||Fir|
|Center Cleat||16 1/4″||2 3/4″||1″||1||Maple|
|Side Cleats||16 1/4″||1 1/2″||1″||2||Maple|
|Draw Fronts||5″||3 1/2″||1/2″||4||Maple|
|Drawer Sides||16 1/4″||3 1/2″||3/8″||4||Maple|
|Drawer Runners||16 1/4″||3/8″||3/8″||4||Maple|
The original plans had called for using pine for the top and drawer sides. I may still do that. I’ve made the top thicker than indicated in the FWW article as I’ll be inlaying a chess board of 1/16″ veneer. The original had called for a 9/16″ top rather than a 3/4″ top. We’ll see how that progresses.